Safety Tips for July 4th!

Firework_Graphic_For_Email

 

Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.

Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, who can become frightened or disoriented by the sound. Please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities, and opt instead to keep them safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.

Keep citronella candles, insect coils and tiki torch oil products out of reach. Ingestion can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.

Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems.

With the LOUD holiday approaching, we are excited to introduce Sileo!  In the past we have prescribed sedatives to help our family canines cope with the anxiety of the holidays.  Now, the FDA has approved the first and only treatment for noise aversion.  Cleveland Park Animal Hospitals have participated in the clinical trials, and can honor the safety and efficacy of this new medication.

Please call one of our 3 locations to inquire if this medication may be helpful for your nervous canine!

From our veterinary family to yours, we wish you a truly spectacular Fourth of July!

 

 

tags:     |    |    |    |